Common people mostly have fickle minds; they are always guided by what they would like to believe, often for their advantage. When they are worried, frightened and clueless about the near future they are most vulnerable to doubt and conspiracy theories. The past half a year people all around the globe are very disturbed by the COVID 19 pandemic, less due to the deadly effects of the virus than the restrictions and lock-downs derailing normal life it has introduced its wake. They desperately need certainly to return to the sweet normal times and live happily ever after, and therefore they jump to just accept and believe fully when some motivated souls offer that’COVID 19 is a joke, it’s nothing more than a’annual influenza ‘. Thus the’doubt virus’is established and the social media as always helps it spread-at times even more quickly than the killer virus. Possibly the basic impulses for skepticism stem from the reality that over 806 of Coronavirus positive cases are mild in nature and recover easily, only the elderly with co-morbidity are most vulnerable and that an average of the death rate is low at 1 to 4% except for some countries. However, facts also reveal that the dead includes young adults too and anyone can be infected out of this most contagious virus.
The conspiracy theories originated in the United States, as always, where extraordinarily’democratic’parts of the citizens opposed the lockdown and restrictions from the beginning symbolizing these with the’agenda’of President Trump. Several conspiracy theories linking even the tragic murder of George Floyd started doing the rounds in the US which we will not make an explanation here just to stop vulnerable minds proceed through and inculcate doubts. We’d only like to say here that this writer got a social media forward giving an url to articles by some’enlightened soul’who took pains of great arguments to’prove’that the pandemic is really a’political hoax ‘. As we mentioned earlier a lot of vulnerable people got influenced by this, and none other than the usual medical surgeon of the Indian state of Assam who even lodged a FIR alleging that only a’annual influenza’has been defined as a pandemic and he wanted action contrary to the concerned governments. This, naturally, created a string of reactions in their state driving news channels asking the hapless common people about their’doubts’on the COVID 19 infections as opposed to destroying the dilemma.
Now, this’annual influenza’theory breaks down at the essential premise itself: if that’s so then this phenomenon must be occurring annually, and why then in 2010 ought to be so different! Governments will not need to have gone on an emergency drive to generate more and more healthcare facilities including ICU beds just to tackle an annual event of flu. Then come the experiences of varied affected countries and governments tackling this’annual influenza’some which we narrate below as arguments to break such forms of fake and motivated views:
1. Let’s take the example of the Chinese experiment. Ignoring a lot of conspiracy theories about China itself we only ask here why would China need absolute authoritarian measures to tackle the virus (well, even annual influenza is caused by a virus) in terms of continuous lockdown and rigorous enforcement โควิด 19. After being successful in keeping the infected numbers below 100,000 the country continues to be fearing a second outbreak, and risking its economic downswing again to stop its spread. Its aggression against India may also be explained as a part of its apparent desperation. An annual flu cannot explain these.
2. Why would countries like UK, Italy, Spain, France, USA and Brazil suffer so much from an annual influenza that killed more than half a million so far and continues to be on its deadly prowls? Why would Italy reduce itself to circumstances of helplessness with dead bodies of Corona patients littered everywhere or why would a German finance minister commit suicide over Corona worries? How one would be to account for a death rate of over 14% (seen in a couple of countries) for an annual influenza virus?
3. Why would the doctors and experts of the World Health Organization continue telling’lies’that the newest Coronavirus is extremely dangerous that would probably stay for a lot more than couple of years and the worst is yet ahead despite whatever campaigns or actions going on or taken against it? We seemed to own accepted at first that this pandemic is the greatest crisis ever faced by humankind. Now, why have second thoughts and doubts?
4. Why would countries across the world continue taking huge risks for an economic crash with unprecedented unemployment and pave the way for a recession possibly worse than the Great Depression? In particular, why a developing country and a most promising upcoming world power like India should risk whatever it has achieved in development so far.
5. How come this type of mad rush all around the globe to fast-track production of a vaccine against only an annual flu? At least such an intensive medical research cannot mask a hidden agenda whatever that could be.
Within the last few days new cases in India have now been rising at nearly 25000 per day with the only real solace that daily recoveries increasing steadily and the death rate is fortunately still low; the concern being a rising positivity rate indicating community transmission. Only at that crucial juncture we ought to not pay heed to conspiracy theories and fake news. Such theories have obvious goals: to generate publicity for unknown persons or groups or to produce a kill in terms of profit. For example, if your link for articles with sensational and terrifying headlines gets circulated across social media and motivated media outlets consider the sort of clicks being generated which directly translate into money.Read More