The Library of Congress is a renowned library home its rich collections in 3 buildings – James Madison Memorial Building, John Adams Building, and Thomas Jefferson Building. It’s among the oldest national institutions as well as the US Congress’s research library. Due to millions of manuscripts, maps, books, photographs, and recordings, this is the world’s largest library collection and is a priceless resource of history. The library operations are handled by the administrative section.
Launched at the Capitol Building at the year 1800, the library eased research work conducted by Congress. President John Adams approved the building and the first collections, value $5000, consisted of law books sourced from England.
The participation of Jefferson was valuable during the formative years wherein he effectively regulated the surgeries and put in several significant procedures in place. The early collection was ruined in the year 1814 if the Capitol Building was invaded as well as the British soldiers set it on fire.
Thomas Jefferson donated his private collection of books that he had accumulated over a span of 50 years on various topics like literature, science, and philosophy houghton library. This collection included a number of foreign language books. He was paid over $20,000 to get a collection of over 6,450 books.
Joseph was successful in dismissing Charles and transferred the prized collection of over 40,000 volumes from Smithsonian Institution to the Library of Congress.
From the year 1864, Ainsworth Rand Spofford took over as the librarian and considered in the philosophy of Jefferson which coped with the universality concept and took efforts to bring in various collections of books from all subjects.
Later, Spofford made it compulsory for the applicants of their US copyrights to deliver 2 copies of their work to the library. Shortly, there was room as the library was totally flooded with maps, prints, music, books, and photographs among other wealthy collections thanks to which a brand new building was built in Italian Renaissance style and was called the Thomas Jefferson Building.